UNIVERSITY DISTRICT PHOTO ALBUM- Images of our neighborhood from the past 150 years: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

On July 9, 1927, a Saturday night 94 years ago, Lamar’s Hudson Theater, 369 E Hudson, opened.

“Columbus’ newest and finest neighborhood theater” kicked off its 45 years as a theater with 1927’s “It Girl” Clara Bow in her hit Rough House Rosie.

The theater showed Hollywood’s finest until the mid-60s. TV killed the neighborhood movie theater business but the Hudson hung on a few years longer as The New Hudson, a porn house. Afterwards, it became a storefront church for a decade or so. The building sat empty for the past 20 years, slowly decaying.
Looking forward to the Hudson’s new life as Lovebird's—a performance venue and event space--if the bureaucrats downtown can get their act together.

United Dairy Farmers at 12th and High, 5:20 AM. Open 24-7-365, serving the unhoused seeking a hot coffee and a warm place to drink it, house partiers stocking up on beer and snacks, Christmas morning shoppers in need of eggnog, sorority girls having an ice cream on a hot day, and everybody in-between, the University District's 3 UDF's play a big role in the life our community.

Here we go again. Two more High St fixtures--the former Cousin's Army-Navy Store (open since 1970) and Lucky's Stout House (since about 2005)--coming down to make way for another indistiguishable, unremarkable, timber-framed, vaguely Post Modern, 6-story box with retail vacancies on the ground floor. Lucky's last call was July 17.

The first Ohio State University Medical Center (brown brick) in ruins. After 104 years, the 1917 hospital was demolished July 15 and 16, 2021 to make way for the University's new Interdisciplinary Health Sciences Center. University--like the city--has never been one to let history get in the way of the bright, new, and shiny. Hamilton Hall and part of Starling-Loving Hall will be preserved and modernized.

The Stube, 1479 N High, opened in 1968 and is one of the longest-lived campus bars still standing. The well-worn furnishings and the dark, windowless interior make it one the the community's premier dive bars.

This carefully curated 30-year-old CD jukebox is the crown jewel of The Stube, 1479 N High. It even has the soundtrcak from the 1980 Flash Gordon movie!!

Couches

Student Move-Out, 2021.

 

 

 

 

Back