Built in the Gothic style with doorways that look like monster mouths, Hamilton looks like it ought to have a ghost or two and supposedly it does.
Hamilton Hall is one of the oldest buildings in the Ohio State University Medical Center complex. Only Starling-Loving Hall (the original hospital) is older.
Hamilton was erected in the early 1920s to provide office and clinic space for doctors and dentists affiliated with the new hospital. The building was first occupied in 1924 and was named after Dr. John Waterman Hamilton (1823-98), a prominent Columbus surgeon and one of the founders of the Ohio Medical College, the precursor to Ohio State University's College of Medicine.
Currently, the building is host to faculty laboratories and offices from a number of medical departments. There are also a couple large lecture halls in the building. The Department of Pathology has its office there and the Department of Anatomy is headquartered on the second floor. In the basement are the laboratories where medical students dissect cadavers to learn the intricacies of the human body.
Many decades ago, the Ohio State equivalent of the Mütter Museum was housed on the 4th floor. A half-dozen skeletons hung from hooks near racks holding dozens of grinning skulls representing every race, religion, gender, and age. Display cases and shelves groaned under the weight of alcohol-filled specimen jars that were the final resting place for hundreds of organs, tumors, growths, deformities, and malformed fetuses.
Those specimens are mostly gone now but maybe something lingers from those days